Canada Authentication Legalization or Apostille

This is a question we hear often since many of our clients have been asked to get an Apostille for their birth certificate, marriage certificate, death certificate, power of attorney, degree, ask us about your document. This happens if the country it is being used in is a member to the Hague Apostille Convention read more about that here. Since Canada is not a member a Canadian document cannot have an Apostille.

Authentication of documents in Canada

In order for a Canadian document to be accepted as the equivalent to an Apostille it must be authenticated and legalized. To do this the first step of authentication takes place at Global Affairs Canada here in Ottawa, which with our assistance we can save you 25 business days processing. Since Global Affairs Canada has strict requirements for documents to be authenticated our consultation with you guarantees their acceptance saving any problems or delays.

Legalization of Documents in Canada

Once the document has been authenticated by Global Affairs Canada it is now ready to be presented for legalization at the embassy for the country you will be using it in. Although most countries generally call this step legalization you may also see it called attestation, authentication, legalisation, ratification, super legalization but all once completed will be the equivalent to an Apostille. There are as many different names for the process as there are different rules and requirements, each dependant on the country that must be followed in order for your document to be accepted at the embassy. If not followed correctly this usually results in long delays or non-processing. To save this our 20 years of experience working with the diplomatic community is at your service to ensure all is prepared and processed correctly.

If you need Authentication and Legalization or information about Apostille we can help.

Get Started Now