If getting married outside of Canada one of the required documents for some countries is called a Statement in Lieu of a Certificate of Non-Impediment to Marriage also known as Certificate of Freedom to Marry. The purpose of this document is to show that you are not married which will allow for the issuance of your marriage licence certificate in that country.

Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada The only authority in Canada able to provide this type of document is the Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada DFATD/JLAC Authentication and Service of Documents Section here in Ottawa. In order to assist you they will require the following:

– Name and country of citizenship of your future spouse
– Your permanent address in Canada
– A Statutory Declaration stating your present marital status.
– If married before, you must provide your certified divorce certificate or divorce judgment.
– If widowed, you will need to provide a certified copy of the death certificate of your deceased spouse.
– If born in Canada, you will need to provide your certified birth certificate.
– If born elsewhere, you will need to provide certified true copies of your Canadian Citizenship Certificate and Record of Landing form.
– If you have lost your Record of Landing form, you will have to note this in your Statutory Declaration of Marital Status.

Please note when you apply with Foreign Affairs Canada DFATD it will take approximately 15 business days before receiving your Statement in lieu of a Certificate of Non-Impediment to Marriage. Once you have received it we can begin to assist you with the authentication & legalization process. To find more information about the apostille, authentication or legalization process for getting married abroad contact Authentication Legalization Services Canada. Canada’s first and foremost authentication and legalization service at 1-800-336-1132 toll free in North America or

Get Started Now